Book 98: "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak

Verdict: I think this is a Must-Read. I don't care what your tastes are. It is awesome.

I loved this book. I don't want to get ahead of myself though so I'll start with the basics, as usual.

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak is a young adult (YA) book that takes place during WWII. The story is narrated by Death, the protagonist is a young girl named Liesel Memminger. Liesel is an orphan that goes to live with a foster family on Himmel Street in a German town. She is a German little girl that steals books at every important moment of her young life. At the time she steals her first book, she isn't able to read. This is the story of the people of Himmel Street and how the war effected everyone, not just those we hear about all the time.

I have to be honest, I've started this book four times and completed it once. When reading, the beginning is slow- keep reading, it is well worth it. I also have to admit that when it comes to WWII novels, I'm always hesitant. A lot of them tend to be too heavy handed. This was not the case with "The Book Thief". Zusak creates characters that you can't help but love. The book is full of wonderful symbolism and storytelling. The pacing is perfect creating suspense and yet still providing answers. I cried. In fact, I was the crazy crying lady on the light rail as I read this book. There are many, many things that I want to write here about but they would ruin the story for you and for this book, I simply can't make myself do that. Read the book. I can't really say anymore.

If you want to know all the tid-bits I'm dying to talk about, or you've read the book and can talk about them with me; message me. I would love nothing more.

Comments