Book 183: "The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux

I grew up on the musical based on this book. It's really been a shameful secret that I hadn't yet read the book.

A true Gothic novel... I was underwhelmed. I found the majority of the characters intolerable. Finding really only two that I liked: the Phantom and the man who brought him to France. I want more of each of their backstories. They seemed to have all the depth the rest of the characters lacked.

Christine Daae was stupid and amazingly naive. Raoul is always crying! Weeping every 10 seconds- it does not surprise me that Christine initially shows more interest in the Phantom. I would two if they were my only choices. The rest of the side characters were exactly as expected.

What makes this book is the atmosphere and amazing tricks that the Phantom uses. But in the end, this is a Gothic tale, told by an unreliable narrator, about a sadistic serial killer and his obsession with a beautiful, yet very stupid, young girl.

I'm glad I read it, but think I'll stick to the musical version from here on out.

Comments