Book 115: "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Read In: Nook ePub
Genre:  Young Adult Sci-Fi
Publisher: Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC

I have a shameful confession... this is technically my second reading of Ender's Game. The first time, I was twelve years old and found the book excessively boring; I never finished it. Knowing the impact it has had on young adult fiction and science-fiction, it has been on my try to-read again list for quite a while. Seeing the movie and a discussion of the book with a friend re-awakened my curiosty and I finally moved it to the top of my reading list. So.... what to do I think?

I liked it. I'm not in love with it or in awe of it. It was, obviously, well ahead of its time. It's very well written and the characters are well-developed. I liked the ending (SPOILER ALERT); to me, it was perfectly fitting that Ender and Valentine go off in search of not only making peace, but in finding it themselves. The politics get a little too involved for me; I'd rather focus on character experience than the political clime they are in. I really have nothing negative to say about the book... except that it's sci-fi. Though I have learned to appreciate sci-fi; it just isn't generally a genre that draws me in as well as some others. Overall, I enjoyed the book. I won't be reading the rest of the quintet and will probably not re-read it for a long while or maybe ever, but it was enjoyable and now I'm glad that it is in my reading repotoire.

Comments