Book 179: "The Diabolic" by S.J. Kincaid


This book surprised me. It was surprisingly good. Really good. I'll be honest that when I picked this up with my Besties for our "book club" that never really happened, I expected this book to be another easy teen dystopia/fantasy with a love triangle and every other trite thing that those books have to include since the success of a certain terrible, teen, sparkly vampire series. (Sorry, I went off subject there....)

I was happy to find that while, yes, this book does contain it's fair share of angst and love- it was a really good book. The characters show immense growth and the idea is actually pretty unique. The main character is truly likable and even believable (even as killing machine). The plot managed to surprise me a couple of times and was not completely predictable.

This author is not afraid of causing turmoil in her character's lives. A fact that I appreciate- maybe more than I should.

Nemesis is a Diabolic. Diabolics are genetically engineered humanoids who are designed and bred for one purpose- to protect the one person they are bonded with as children at ALL costs. They are engineered to be stronger, emotionless (except for the love imprint for their one person), violent, killing machines who only keep that one purpose in mind: protect.

The story is set in the distant future when humans have already explored and settled into the far reaches of the universe. A cataclysmic event causes the deaths of many and a religious group who worships the sun believes that technology is to blame. All technological learning and advancement is banned. The technology that remains is so advanced that it can maintain itself.... at least it could.

This book is not only about friendship, genetic engineering, and the true nature of humans. It is also about politics, religion, privilege, the barbaric side of the human condition, and love. Kincaid manages to address it all. This is the first book, in what looks like will be, a trilogy. The 2nd book was just recently released, but I will be reading it. However, this book works as a standalone if you don't wish to continue the series. I was perfectly happy with where it ended.

Comments