Book 166: "Ever Shade" By Alexia Purdy

Title: Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale #1)
Author: Alexia Purdy
Genre: YA Fantasy
Read in: Kindle eBook

I really need  to end the terrible YA (young adult) streak I've been on. I'll probably (once I finish all those in my currently reading list) take a YA break for a while.

Ever Shade is an interesting idea. I chose the book because I love the Fae. Especially the traditional Fae that consists of many, many creatures of different powers and alignments. However... it didn't really live up to how good it could have been. I felt the entire time like I was reading a book with so much potential, but it never quite came into its own.

The book tells the story of Shade, a seemingly, mostly normal high school girl. She is only mostly normal because she hears voices that instruct her to do or not do things. These voices end up leading her to meet Jack, who, without much preamble or real reason, takes her into the world of the Seelie Fae. Here she meets with the oracle and is told that she is the only one that can save them from a great war with the Unseelie Fae. And that is really how the rest of the book goes. It reads as though random events simply keep happening to Shade with no real reason. I felt like I was reading many scenes with no real connection except for characters. Because of this; the characters did not grow, and the plot remained very shallow and predictable. Shade does, as some point, find out she's a Changeling, even how that comes about is random and does not make much sense.

Overall, the book was not poorly written, it just wasn't what it could be. It lacked a cohesive plot and character development. I will not be reading the rest of the series and do not recommend you waste your time with this book. It wasn't bad- but not really worth the read either.


Comments