Book 165: "Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My!" By Sara Roethle


Title: Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh my! (Xoe Myers #1)
Author: Sara Roethle
Read in: Kindle eBook
Genre: Urban Fantasy- Young Adult

This is not a great book. It is shallow, over-descriptive, and incredibly predictable.  There are grammar errors everywhere. It is pretty much what you would expect from the Twilight fanbase of authors that are still following Stephanie Meyers in angsty Urban Fantasy.

The more of these books I read (I keep picking them up hoping that one day I'll find a gem) the more I wonder if teenagers are really so stupidly trusting. Would they actually meet some hot guy in the woods and immediately believe he is on their side so much to the extent that they trust him to protect them, stay in their room, and basically turn into a controlling stalker- all in the name of "love"? This one started out differently- the protagonist actually really didn't trust the hot new stranger. And turned out to be right that he was dangerous and crazy. However, while being attacked- an additional hot new stranger arrives and immediately she trusts him. *sigh*. For just a moment I had thought we'd escaped it.

I'm also getting tired of the trio of girls who all have their role to play: the strong, independent one; the naiive, innocent; and the flirty, superficial, boy crazy one. What egregious stereotyping! I'm really tired of reading it.

I realize this turned into a rant about the genre in general. But really- there was nothing wrong with this book that isn't wrong with all the others like it. I just don't recommend reading it and won't be continuing the series.

Comments