Book 155: "Poppy" by Avi

Title: Poppy
Author: Avi
Read In: Trade Paperback
Publisher:  HarperCollins Publishers
Genre: Children's Animal Adventure

I am not a fan of stories where the only characters are animals. I'm not sure why. There are many great books where this is the case. But I've simply never been one to be able to identify well with animals. I have read many of over the years and have just never managed to connect.

Avi is one of my favorite children's authors. I thought that if anyone could break my dislike of animal characters it would be him.

Poppy is a well-written kids book. I live Avi because he's never afraid to address the dark side of life. Even kids know there's a dark side and Avi does this in a way that is kid friendly. Poppy is no different.
Poppy tells the story of a mouse family under the rule of a very mean owl. It is the story of them trying to break free for the benefit of their quickly growing family. I can't say much more without spoilers, so I won't.

If I liked stories with animals as the main characters, I would have liked this book. It is a good book. I do recommend it for kids to read or for parents to read to kids, it would make a great read-aloud book.

I always recommend Avi books. He has some 75 books published and lives here in Colorado. Though he isn't a native, he is local. It's always in our favor to support local authors. My favorite of his books is Midnight Magic. If you haven't read that, I highly suggest you do.

Comments