Skip to main content

Book 141: "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch






Title: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1)
Author: Scott Lynch
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Read In: Nook ePub
Genre: Fantasy










I really liked this book. A lot. This is the first book in The Gentleman Bastard series and I look forward to reading the rest. This book is unlike most other fantasy novels I have read, which I adore. I always enjoy a new style and idea when it comes to reading. Lynch also uses a character driven style, which is my preference. While it is obvious that Lynch draws on some classic literature for inspiration, (most obviously Oliver Twist) it is more a way of honoring said literature than by stealing its ideas.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, obviously, centers  around the character Locke Lamora. The story is told following two storylines. There is the main storyline of the novel that features Locke and friends as adults. There are also "Interludes" which tell the story of Locke and a few of the Gentleman Bastards growing up. The Gentleman Bastards are, basically, very well trained con-men. Locke, as an adult, is their leader.

There are a few things that helped make this book awesome for me:

The first are the characters. There is no character, however small, that is not awesome in their own way. Even if you hate that character, they are a unique individual with a story and background (but not unnecessarily so). I enjoyed reading each character immensely.

The second is the author's complete willingness to kill. Not unnecessarily, like the George R.R. Martin style, but in a way that literature has been missing for some time- mostly due to fear of readers getting angry (*cough*...J.K. Rowling...*cough*).

The third is that this a detailed and complex story without being too heavy with detail. While every character is given a deep history and personality, pages are not spent explaining this- it is more something that is simply felt. There are twists and turns that surprised me, and I am not easily surprised while reading. This is because of the intricate detail of the world and story- it is as unexpected as life.

The fourth are the women. Lynch writes strong, independent, smart women. They are business women, leaders of gangs, leaders of the country, warriors; in short, everything that a man can do. What makes this awesome is how natural it is. Lynch isn't writing this with an emphasis on "look, I wrote a strong female character, isn't she unique?". No he's integrated it so well into the story that it's natural, because why wouldn't a woman be in those roles? Amazing. In effect, he writes with true equality.

I really have nothing bad to say about this book. It is incredibly well written and entertaining. A few warnings to my more conservative friends, family, and readers. This novel is wrought with swearing and graphic violence. If you don't like those, I suggest you avoid the book.

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 154: "Poison or Protect" by Gail Carriger

Title: Poison or Protect
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Novella, Steampunk, fantasy
Publisher: Gail Carriger, LLC
Read in: Nook ePub

Have you noticed that I adore Gail Carriger and everything she writes? Not yet? Well, now you know. This is the first in a series of novellas that Carriger plans to write. As with all of her work thus far, I loved it.

This novella series will follow the Finishing School characters once they are adults. This first installment is a story about Preshea. I can't say too much, given the short nature of this story, without giving spoilers. But I loved learning more about a character that was in opposition to the main characters of Finishing School. (If you can deconstruct that sentence). Be forewarned... it's steamy! This was the perfect tide-over story to get me through until Imprudence released (review to come soon!) and I'm counting on the coming releases of more novellas to get me through the next two years until the next installment of The Custard P…

Book 165: "Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My!" By Sara Roethle

Title: Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh my! (Xoe Myers #1)
Author: Sara Roethle
Read in: Kindle eBook
Genre: Urban Fantasy- Young Adult

This is not a great book. It is shallow, over-descriptive, and incredibly predictable.  There are grammar errors everywhere. It is pretty much what you would expect from the Twilight fanbase of authors that are still following Stephanie Meyers in angsty Urban Fantasy.

The more of these books I read (I keep picking them up hoping that one day I'll find a gem) the more I wonder if teenagers are really so stupidly trusting. Would they actually meet some hot guy in the woods and immediately believe he is on their side so much to the extent that they trust him to protect them, stay in their room, and basically turn into a controlling stalker- all in the name of "love"? This one started out differently- the protagonist actually really didn't trust the hot new stranger. And turned out to be right that he was dangerous and crazy. H…

Book 161: "Romancing the Inventor" By Gail Carriger

Title: Romancing the Inventor
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Steampunk Urban Fantasy Novella
Read In: Nook ePub

So, my fellow readers, I'm sure you know that this is a novella by Gail Carriger. If you've been following me long, you know that means I most likely adored it. You are correct. Carriger strikes again; she has yet to disappoint me with one of her pieces, novel, short story, or novella. This novella is a long-awaited story featuring Genevieve  Lefoux. Madam Lefoux is one of my favorite characters in The Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School Series, so it is extra nice to get yet another glimpse of her later in life- after the Parasol Protectorate Series has ended. In fact, many of the beloved characters from The Parasol Protectorate make an appearance, including Alexia and Conall.

The protagonist of the story is a new character. This is a GBLTQ friendly story (obviously, since it focuses on Madame Lefoux). I liked this novella because I thought it much closer to he…