From the Archives: Book 15: "Dead in the Family" by Charlaine Harris


 
"Dead in the Family" by Charlaine Harris
Verdict: Like Vampires? Read these!!!

For books like this, where I'm at the latest of the series, I'm not going to focus on the book specifically, unless I have started the series on this page. That being said, "Dead in the Family" is the latest in Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, the books that HBO's "True Blood" is based on.

The books follow Sookie Stackhouse, back woods Lousiana girl who lives in Bon Temps, Lousiana. The basis for the series is that Japan created a synthetic blood, making it possible for vampires to "out" themselves to society. So Vampires are now legal citizens of the world, acknowledged in every society as real. Sookie Stackhouse, the main character, is also a supernatural of sorts, she's telepathic. She finds herself enjoying the company of vampires, whose minds she cannot read.

As the series progresses, Sookie learns there are many more supernatural things than vampires in the world: shape-shifters, fairies, werewolves, and more keep popping into her world.

I love this series, it's funny, romantic, and action-packed with a mystey/crime type plot for each novel. They really are just fun, enjoyable books!

***Present day***
I find it interesting to go back and see how much I loved a series before I tired of it. This is book 10 of 13, but by 13 I was so done with series. I pretty much had kept reading because I had already come so far. The first books of ths Sookie Stackhouse series are by far the best and I do still recommend them. I don't, however, recommend reading the entire series. Read until you're no longer interested.

Comments