From the Archives: Book 13: "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury


 

"Fahrenheit 451" By Ray Bradbury
Verdict: A classic that is often used as reference in many other things: Read it.

Yes, yes, I have just now read "Fahrenheit 451", for the first time. Okay, so, I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed. Perhaps I already knew too much, or the book has been over-hyped for me, but either way, I'm not in love.
If you don't know, this book is a dystopia and is about a world where reading books is forbidden. Firemen don't put out fires but start them, burning books, the houses that contain them and any occupant that refuses to leave. The main issue I had with this book? The message was too obvious. The activities that the culture are supposed to be doing are mindless television based things. The message is simple. We, as a society, should strive to preserve knowledge, knowledge that technology of modern ages is threatening to destroy. This book is not about burning books, no matter what anyone says. Books are a symbol for knowledge- an overused but effective symbol. By burning books and removing those who read them from society, knowledge- logic, vocabulary, history, etc. are being erased.
The message is good, even with the overused and trite metaphors and symbols throughout. There are definitely interesting elements, but also many things that should have been expanded on and used more efficiently. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would.


***Present Day Note***

I'm surprised I didn't give this a more in-depth review. Now I'm feeling the need to re-read and re-review it. I do remember really liking the characters, who were very unique to me, at the time. Might be time to spend a day re-reading this book.

Comments