Book 123: "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman

 
Title: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Author: Neil Gaiman
Read In: Nook eBook
Genre: Fiction/Fantasy
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
 
I love Neil Gaiman; he is an incredibly talented and probably strange man. If you're unfamiliar with his accomplishments and work, I highly suggest you check him out (http://www.neilgaiman.com/).
 
 
The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a short fiction book that is really like an adult fairy tale (not the Disney kind). It is written in first person narrative from an adult perspective of the protagonist's childhood memory. It tells the story of a magical, or spiritual, family that he encounters. Though like a fairy tale, I think this book reads like a mix of fantasy and magical realism. It is very well written. It is rather dark. I loved it. The story is not very complex, but it is deep and at under 200 pages it is a great read for this busy time of year.  The book is also character driven, which you should know by now, is my preference for storytelling style. It is also a story that sticks with you. I finished the book approximately two weeks ago (I apologize for my tardy post) and I often find myself still thinking about it. I have also recommended it to anyone who asks what I've been reading. And so, my friends, I now recommend this book to you. I honestly think it is well worth everyone's time- so, enjoy!
 


Comments