From the Archives: Book 58: "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin



Book 58: "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin
Verdict: I'm Unsure
After reading "Something Borrowed" I find myself conflicted as to how I feel about it. It captured my attention, I enjoyed reading it, and it is well written. However, I still am unsure of how I feel about the actual story. For those of you who have yet to read this book-or see the movie, which was surprisingly accurate- be aware that this review is a spoiler, so if you want to be surprised, stop reading now.

 
The main character of this story is Rachel and the book is written in first person from her point of view. Rachel is a very likable character, she is an all-around good person, excepting the fact that she falls in love and has an affair with her best friend's fiance. Though this is not acceptable, she does not pretend that it is, which I appreciate. Darcy, her lifelong best friend, is also very difficult to like. She is selfish, greedy, attention hogging, and not a very good friend. Dex, Darcy's fiance, is also a great guy, except for his cheating on Darcy. As the book goes on, you can't help but root for Rachel and Dex to end up together. This being said, you don't want Rachel to lose Darcy, either. Hence my conflicted feelings. I have read the book and seen the movie and neither have been able to give me clarification on how I feel.
 
Overall this book is entertaining, well-written, and a good read- regardless of my emotional conflicts. It's a good love story in both the ways a girl loves- through romance and through friendship. If you've read it, I'd love to know how you felt!

Comments