Book 146: "The Dark of Twilight" by Kate Danley

Title: The Dark of Twiligh
Author: Kate Danley
Publishier: CreateSpace Publishing
Read In: Kindle eBook
Genre: YA Fantasy

Though I finished this book a few days ago, I just can't seem to get a handle on how I feel about it. I rated it 3 stars on most the sites I participate in, but I really wish that 2.5 was an option. I really, really want to like this book. And I don't dislike it. I enjoyed reading it. However it has some issues that I simply can't get past.

The first is that the development of characters and relationships between characters doesn't really happen. Things are just thrown at the reader, out of the blue. A few examples:
- The main character goes from a novice/ okay warrior to one of the best, basically overnight.
- Two love interests are introduced- both go from being friends/comrades to suddenly being head-over-heels in love with the protagonist with absolutely no prior indication.
- Supporting characters who play a major role are flat and incredibly see through.

I like the idea of this book. I love the world and the special set of circumstances that the plot has. But, overall, the read was random and poorly executed. The characters and story lacked depth. So, it gets a 2.5 rating for creativity. But no higher because this book could have been great. I still find myself willing it to be so.

Comments