From the Archives: Book 18: "The Giver" by Lois Lowry





The Giver" by Lois Lowry
Verdict: A must-read for kids and adults

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry has always been known as a children's classic. I passed it up as a child, but was convinced to read it by my mother, now that I'm infinitely less picky in my choices. I'm so glad that I listened.
This novel takes the form of a dystopia, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite genres. This dystopia, like most, gives off the air of being the perfect society: simple, happy, educated, clean, etc. People are assigned everything from jobs to families. This book follows one pre-teen who is given his job and finds out the truth. Instead of being assigned, he is selected to be the next Receiver. The Receiver holds all the memories for how things were before the perfect society existed. In other words he holds the truth of life with colors, feelings, and everything that comes with no regulated way of life.



This journey is amazing yet slightly depressing as you realize that in this entire society only one person at a time knows the truth about not only what they are missing, but the truth about what happens on the darker side of their very own community.

I think that this is a must read for any kid or adult. Though sad, it was really good. So if you haven't read this classic kids book, go get a copy and read it; it's completely worth it.
*Present Day Note*
The movie did recently come out, I have yet to watch it, but would be curious to know if it's a good adaptation!


Comments