Book 135: "I Hunt Killers" by Barry Lyga


Title:  I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers Series 1)
Author: Barry Lyga
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult Thriller
Read In: Trade Paperback

Jasper, or Jazz, is the son of notorious serial killer. He both blames himself and fears himself just because of this one fact. To help with these feelings, he has a strong need to "help" the police find murderers. This book is basically the Dexter of YA. The only real difference is the main character is a teenager who has been trained to become a serial killer, but doesn't want to be one. In fact, he wants more than anything to prove to himself he is NOT a killer. Because of the acts of his father, he lives as a societal pariah with one friend, a girlfriend, and a crazy, senile grandmother.

Though this wasn't the most original of ideas, the book was good. The characters are endearing and the plot is exciting; it kept me reading as a thriller should. It's also well-written. I have never heard of Barry Lyga before this book, but he's written a decent amount. This series currently has 5 books. I'm not sure I'll continue on quite that long, but I'll definitely be reading the second book.

This isn't the deepest of books, it's an easy read that keeps you interested. It's biggest downfall is the lack of orginality. I really do love the characters, they are dynamic and believable. Aside from the angst and reading level, it could easily be an adult novel. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with an interest in thrillers.

If you're interested, here is the author's website: http://barrylyga.com/

Comments