From the Archives: Book 2: "Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland", "Through the Looking Glass"

 
“Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass” by Lewis Carroll
Verdict: Must Read!

This is a book that I consider a must read for everyone. In fact, I feel so strongly about it that I wouldn’t consider anyone well-read if they haven’t read both of these books. The two stories are fantastic in every sense of the word.
“Words, words, words.” This Quote from Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” makes me think that Shakespeare must have been present in Lewis Carroll’s inspiration. When it comes to “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass” the only word that really comes to mind is wordplay. Carroll is a genius at wordplay, and though this was my second time reading the two books, I was even more amazed than the last. His wordplay extends beyond the created world and the words he uses to describe it. The wordplay plays with grammatical uses, word-meaning, assonance, consonance… it just goes on and it’s a thrill to read.

If you don’t like, or go crazy over, wordplay the story is still incredible. It’s so creative; things happen that you would never expect and some that you can’t understand. However the world he creates is frightening, bizarre, amazing, and vibrant. I hate to overuse adjectives like that, but they each apply.

Anyway, I’m sure I could write a book on how wonderful the journey of reading these two stories is. Instead of doing that I’m going to just say these two words, read it.

Comments