Skip to main content

Book 127: "Shogun" by James Clavell


Title: Shogun
Author: James Clavell
Genre: Historical Fiction
Read In: Nook ePub
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group

This book has been on my "to read" list since I was a teenager. My parents have always raved about it. At 1140 (-ish, depending on publisher/format) pages, this book is a little bit of an undertaking. It's also very in-depth and slightly complicated.

The book is set in Japan in the late 1400s to early 1500s, approximately the same time as the Medieval era of Europe and the Spanish Inquisition (which is mentioned in the book). It tells a story of a Dutch ship, piloted by an Englishman, who are shipwrecked on Japan in an attempt to find the Asias (meaning, primarily China and India). The pilot's name is John Blackthorne and he is one of the main character's of the book. One of the many things I really enjoyed about this book is that there are multiple main characters that are followed. There is not a single character that is not fully developed. The reader is allowed a glimpse of understanding into most of the character's lives and perspectives. This is a book that has everything; love, politics, war, friendship, conspiracy, and some religion/philosophy.

The real reason I enjoyed this book was the glimpse it gives the reader of how old and rich Japanese culture was/is. By primarily using a western perspective, Clavell is able to easily explain and help the reader understand their culture. Clavell is also a genius at character growth. The reader grows with Blackthorne and you don't notice until, towards the end of the novel, you're reintroduced to his remaining European crew members. It is with this reintroduction that you realize how vulgar and appalling their behavior is- even though they are the characters that show the lease amount of growth throughout the novel. I also really enjoyed that Clavell showed how important and valued women were in the society, at least Samurai women. He showed that the women were smart and often the ones with valuable information. They were valued by any Samurai man that wanted to be successful. It is shown in this quote, spoken by a woman in the book, but backed up by male characters using the women's information and often thinking about how clever and valuable they are:
"'How do you find out these things Gyoko-san?' 'Men need to whisper secrets, lady.That's what makes them different from us--they need to share secrets, but we women only reveal them to gain an advantage. With a little silver and a ready ear-- and I have both--it's all so easy. Yes. Men need to share secrets. That's why we're superior to them and they'll always be in our power.'"

When I read well-researched stories like this, it makes me think two things. The first, it reminds me how young all of Western civilization is compared to Chinese and Japanese civilizations. While the west was still learning basic tools and weaponry, barely founding cities, Asia had booming metropolises with ingrained legal systems and cultural rules guiding them. They had medinical practices we wouldn't learn for hundreds of years. They were clean and adapted to their enviornments. The second thing I always think, is how little I know of these cultures. I really need to learn more about them. There is a whole side of the world that our history studies, in general,  fail to explore. I wish I knew more, every time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I loved the in-depth characters and culture. The complicated plot was very interesting and granted the reader even more insight. I enjoyed the use of Japanese within the novel to the extent that by the end there were phrases written in Japanese that no longer needed to be translated to English. This novel was very well-written and interesting. If you have any interest in Japanese history or even just a good, complex story, I highly recommend you read it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 154: "Poison or Protect" by Gail Carriger

Title: Poison or Protect
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Novella, Steampunk, fantasy
Publisher: Gail Carriger, LLC
Read in: Nook ePub

Have you noticed that I adore Gail Carriger and everything she writes? Not yet? Well, now you know. This is the first in a series of novellas that Carriger plans to write. As with all of her work thus far, I loved it.

This novella series will follow the Finishing School characters once they are adults. This first installment is a story about Preshea. I can't say too much, given the short nature of this story, without giving spoilers. But I loved learning more about a character that was in opposition to the main characters of Finishing School. (If you can deconstruct that sentence). Be forewarned... it's steamy! This was the perfect tide-over story to get me through until Imprudence released (review to come soon!) and I'm counting on the coming releases of more novellas to get me through the next two years until the next installment of The Custard P…

Book 165: "Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My!" By Sara Roethle

Title: Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh my! (Xoe Myers #1)
Author: Sara Roethle
Read in: Kindle eBook
Genre: Urban Fantasy- Young Adult

This is not a great book. It is shallow, over-descriptive, and incredibly predictable.  There are grammar errors everywhere. It is pretty much what you would expect from the Twilight fanbase of authors that are still following Stephanie Meyers in angsty Urban Fantasy.

The more of these books I read (I keep picking them up hoping that one day I'll find a gem) the more I wonder if teenagers are really so stupidly trusting. Would they actually meet some hot guy in the woods and immediately believe he is on their side so much to the extent that they trust him to protect them, stay in their room, and basically turn into a controlling stalker- all in the name of "love"? This one started out differently- the protagonist actually really didn't trust the hot new stranger. And turned out to be right that he was dangerous and crazy. H…

Book 161: "Romancing the Inventor" By Gail Carriger

Title: Romancing the Inventor
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Steampunk Urban Fantasy Novella
Read In: Nook ePub

So, my fellow readers, I'm sure you know that this is a novella by Gail Carriger. If you've been following me long, you know that means I most likely adored it. You are correct. Carriger strikes again; she has yet to disappoint me with one of her pieces, novel, short story, or novella. This novella is a long-awaited story featuring Genevieve  Lefoux. Madam Lefoux is one of my favorite characters in The Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School Series, so it is extra nice to get yet another glimpse of her later in life- after the Parasol Protectorate Series has ended. In fact, many of the beloved characters from The Parasol Protectorate make an appearance, including Alexia and Conall.

The protagonist of the story is a new character. This is a GBLTQ friendly story (obviously, since it focuses on Madame Lefoux). I liked this novella because I thought it much closer to he…