Book 126: "Waistcoats & Weaponry" by Gail Carriger


Title: Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School #3)
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Supernatural Steampunk YA fiction
Read in: Nook ebook
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

I think that I may be forming a small bias towards Gail Carriger books. I simply love them. I have yet to read a story of hers that I don't thoroughly enjoy. This is the third installment of her Finishing School series. As with most series, I love the first installment the most. But this is now my second favorite of the series. This book seems more true to the characters that we first fell in love with. Once again, Carriger's wonderful use of language has me enthralled. This is her young adult series, so expect the story to be slightly less complicated and slightly more predictable than her Parasol Protectorate series. That is really my only complaint (like I said, I may be developing a bias). I love that these books are easy to read and full of action and adventure while still managing to focus on character growth and development. I love that they tie to events that are referenced in the Parasol Protectorate series, but that if you have not read that series, you don't have to understand the references to enjoy the story. In fact, you will have no knowledge or feeling that they are references.

I guess what I'm getting at is: read the series, especially if you're a fan of steampunk. The only bad thing I can really say (aside from their expected predictability) is that reading Carriger's books always goes too quickly.

Comments