Book 117: "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson


Title: Steelheart (Reckoners #1)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Read In: Nook ePub
Genre: Alternate Reality, YA
Publisher: Random House Children's Books

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I really enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn series, so I thought I'd give him another chance. I was right to. This is the first book of the Reckoners series, the second book is due to release in Fall 2014, of course I didn't realize this when I picked up the book.... oh well.

What I enjoy most about Sanderson's books are that though they are definitely fantasy themed and formatted, they are not traditional fantasy in any way. (Excepting, most likely, the Wheel of Time series which he is now finishing for Robert Jordan (though I haven't read that series either; so please correct me if I'm wrong)). Steelheart has followed this same path.

Set in an alternate reality of the United States, Steelheart occurs after a phenomenon, Calamity, appears in the sky. This is best described as a second sun suddenly appearing. After Calamity appears, people (some of them) begin to change; they acquire super powers. However, instead of using these powers for good (as we have always been taught to expect of those with super powers), they all use them for evil. All of them. There are no heroes. Needless to say, these super villains pretty much destroy the world as we know it with battles for territory and their evil, selfish ways. They are known as Epics. This is where the protagonist comes in, David. David watches Steelheart kill his father. He then makes it his life mission to kill Steelheart. To do this, he needs the help of the Reckoners, a band of rebels that goes around killing as many Epics as they can.

I really liked this book. It was a little predictable, but not entirely. Though I was able to manage guessing the main tenants of what was going to happen, I was not able to guess the particulars. I recommend this book if you're looking for a fast-paced, well- written story filled with round characters you can't help but like. I look forward to the next installment's release and will definitely be purchasing it. I will probably also start exploring more of Sanderson's series, so far he has yet to disappoint.  Read it; it's fun.

Comments