Skip to main content

Book 117: "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson


Title: Steelheart (Reckoners #1)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Read In: Nook ePub
Genre: Alternate Reality, YA
Publisher: Random House Children's Books

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I really enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn series, so I thought I'd give him another chance. I was right to. This is the first book of the Reckoners series, the second book is due to release in Fall 2014, of course I didn't realize this when I picked up the book.... oh well.

What I enjoy most about Sanderson's books are that though they are definitely fantasy themed and formatted, they are not traditional fantasy in any way. (Excepting, most likely, the Wheel of Time series which he is now finishing for Robert Jordan (though I haven't read that series either; so please correct me if I'm wrong)). Steelheart has followed this same path.

Set in an alternate reality of the United States, Steelheart occurs after a phenomenon, Calamity, appears in the sky. This is best described as a second sun suddenly appearing. After Calamity appears, people (some of them) begin to change; they acquire super powers. However, instead of using these powers for good (as we have always been taught to expect of those with super powers), they all use them for evil. All of them. There are no heroes. Needless to say, these super villains pretty much destroy the world as we know it with battles for territory and their evil, selfish ways. They are known as Epics. This is where the protagonist comes in, David. David watches Steelheart kill his father. He then makes it his life mission to kill Steelheart. To do this, he needs the help of the Reckoners, a band of rebels that goes around killing as many Epics as they can.

I really liked this book. It was a little predictable, but not entirely. Though I was able to manage guessing the main tenants of what was going to happen, I was not able to guess the particulars. I recommend this book if you're looking for a fast-paced, well- written story filled with round characters you can't help but like. I look forward to the next installment's release and will definitely be purchasing it. I will probably also start exploring more of Sanderson's series, so far he has yet to disappoint.  Read it; it's fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 154: "Poison or Protect" by Gail Carriger

Title: Poison or Protect
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Novella, Steampunk, fantasy
Publisher: Gail Carriger, LLC
Read in: Nook ePub

Have you noticed that I adore Gail Carriger and everything she writes? Not yet? Well, now you know. This is the first in a series of novellas that Carriger plans to write. As with all of her work thus far, I loved it.

This novella series will follow the Finishing School characters once they are adults. This first installment is a story about Preshea. I can't say too much, given the short nature of this story, without giving spoilers. But I loved learning more about a character that was in opposition to the main characters of Finishing School. (If you can deconstruct that sentence). Be forewarned... it's steamy! This was the perfect tide-over story to get me through until Imprudence released (review to come soon!) and I'm counting on the coming releases of more novellas to get me through the next two years until the next installment of The Custard P…

Book 165: "Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My!" By Sara Roethle

Title: Xoe: Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh my! (Xoe Myers #1)
Author: Sara Roethle
Read in: Kindle eBook
Genre: Urban Fantasy- Young Adult

This is not a great book. It is shallow, over-descriptive, and incredibly predictable.  There are grammar errors everywhere. It is pretty much what you would expect from the Twilight fanbase of authors that are still following Stephanie Meyers in angsty Urban Fantasy.

The more of these books I read (I keep picking them up hoping that one day I'll find a gem) the more I wonder if teenagers are really so stupidly trusting. Would they actually meet some hot guy in the woods and immediately believe he is on their side so much to the extent that they trust him to protect them, stay in their room, and basically turn into a controlling stalker- all in the name of "love"? This one started out differently- the protagonist actually really didn't trust the hot new stranger. And turned out to be right that he was dangerous and crazy. H…

Book 161: "Romancing the Inventor" By Gail Carriger

Title: Romancing the Inventor
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Steampunk Urban Fantasy Novella
Read In: Nook ePub

So, my fellow readers, I'm sure you know that this is a novella by Gail Carriger. If you've been following me long, you know that means I most likely adored it. You are correct. Carriger strikes again; she has yet to disappoint me with one of her pieces, novel, short story, or novella. This novella is a long-awaited story featuring Genevieve  Lefoux. Madam Lefoux is one of my favorite characters in The Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School Series, so it is extra nice to get yet another glimpse of her later in life- after the Parasol Protectorate Series has ended. In fact, many of the beloved characters from The Parasol Protectorate make an appearance, including Alexia and Conall.

The protagonist of the story is a new character. This is a GBLTQ friendly story (obviously, since it focuses on Madame Lefoux). I liked this novella because I thought it much closer to he…