Book 105: "The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Title: The Angel's Game
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Read In: Nook ePub
Genre: Fiction, Thriller, Magical Realism
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

This is the second book in the series Cemetery of Forgotten Books by Zafon. Though the books each have their own contained stories, they overlap characters, locations, and (of course) the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. The first of the series (though they can be read in any order) is The Shadow of the Wind, perhaps one of the best novels I've read in the last few years. 

The Angel's Game was very enjoyable. Zafon once again manages to transport the reader to Barcelona in the early part of the 20th century. He creates a dark and mysterious world that is full of intrigue, the supernatural, and wonderful characters. This sequel is much darker than the first, but it serves the book well. Zafon and his translator manage to maintain the beautiful style of writing that made me fall in love with The Shadow of the Wind. My only problem with the book is that the ending was weak (and a little creepy) to me. There were still far too many loose ends that will need to be covered in the third book. The book also wasn't as tightly planned and unfolded as Zafon's first. That said, I still look forward to reading the third of the series and would recommend these books for anyone looking for a great story. Zafon's books really do manage to have it all without losing track of the true thread of the story. They have mystery, thrill, love, friendships, families, magical realism, and a deep sense of community and connection with the city that the books are set, Barcelona. 

Overall, the second book is not as good as the first, but I still really liked it. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I grow to appreciate what Zafon has accomplished. I guess, what I'm trying to say is: Read it. You'll be pleasantly surprised. In fact, I can't seem to think of one reader in my life that would not enjoy these books. They really do have something for everyone. 


Comments