Book 181: "Looking for Alaska" by John Green

John Green is the Nicholas Sparks of YA. You probably know him from The Fault in Our Stars. While this book, Looking for Alaska, is the only book of his that I've read (I do know the story of The Fault in Our Stars), I have a feeling that most of them have the same feel. Please correct me if I'm wrong- I'm happy to give him another chance.

I need to clarify. I don't dislike this book. It was well-written and most likely the Catcher in the Rye for this teenage generation (it has the same elements: teen angst, love, boarding school, friend/family problems). I also was not amazed by this book. I found the story and characters predictable and shallow. They are filled with angst and rebellion. And though the characters and plot progressed, I was left with the feeling that they didn't really grow or change in any meaningful way.

There was nothing here that has not already been said, portrayed, and explored many times over. In short, though well-written and interesting, I found it wholly unoriginal.

I know John Green is a favored author among many. Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing here?

Comments